April 28, 2012

Cluster Bracelet Tutorial

So, normally when I make my Cluster Bracelets I use 3 different kinds of beads. I use, 2 different colors and usually add a black or silver accent bead of some kind. However, I didn't have any accent beads left this time so I only used 2 different colors. I ordered some black hematite hearts and some silver beads online so I'm just waiting for them to come in. But for now, I have to work with what I have on hand.



So, you start by choosing your beads in whatever color you prefer. I chose Copper colored Fire Polished Czech Glass Beads and paired them with some pretty light blue Bicone Swarovski Crystal beads. I like to pick colors that are completely different from each other but still accent each other perfectly.  

Next you need to choose the style of Clasp and the type of Chain you'd like to use. I used a small delicate chain on this bracelet but that all depends on you and your taste or project. If your using bigger beads, I'd suggest using a larger chain. For smaller beads, use a smaller chain. And so on. :)



Also, you need to pick the type of Head Pins you want to use. I just used regular bright silver plated head pins but if your feeling extra creative, try using a decorative head pin. I'd suggest only using it on one of your colors of beads though. But make sure your deco head pins are the same color as your regular head pins. Other wise it won't match and it'll look kind of tacky. 

So now that I have all of my supplies in front of me, I start by adding my head pins to all of my beads. That way once all your beads are ready with your head pins, you can start hooking them on your chain.

Make sure you alternate sides with your colors. On your first link, add your first color. Then on the 2nd link, add your second color. Now when you get to your 3rd chain link, make sure you add your first color on the opposite side of the one you added on the first link. It should look similar to the image bellow.





  Otherwise, if you don't alternate sides with your colors, it'll end up looking like this. Your end result won't look like a proper cluster. It'll just look like 2 rows of colors. That's ok of course if that's the look your going for. There's nothing wrong with it. But not if your trying to make a Cluster style Bracelet. :)


And finally, your end result. Be creative with it. You can use 1 color if you want to or 3 or 4 colors. Also try mixing different types of beads. Round beads with Bicone beads. Or Square beads with round beads. Or even long beads. It's all up to you really. Another good tip I can give you is to use what you have on hand. If you have a couple of old Necklaces or Bracelets or even some broken pieces of jewelry you might have, try mixing and matching the beads from those to create your new bracelet. Your taking something old or broken and reviving it into something new. :)




I really hope this Tutorial helps someone with their new creation. Any Feedback you have would be wonderful. :) And of course any questions you may have are always welcomed.


Happy Beading!!

No comments: